Friday, July 16, 2010

My Summer Routine



There's a debate as to whether one requires a regular routine to maintain the health of their curls. I know some naturals who are hardcore followers of their routine and their hair has flourished. I know others who do whatever they do and their hair flourished. To each it's own I guess. I personally feel like finding a way to gently care for your hair, with regular moisture and less manipulation helps the hair flourish. However you can accomplish that, go for it.

And so for the last month, I've been following a routine that has been serving my hair quite well.  So far, I do the following:

* Wash my hair every 5-7 days in sections
*Pre-poo every wash day
*Deep condition every wash day for 30min-1hr, cold water rinse
*co-wash mid-week if hair needs moisture boost
*Moisturize 2x a day (morning and night) with water based moisturizer, seal in moisture with butter and oil
*Protective style most of the week to protect ends (two-strand twists, buns), wear my hair out for 2 days or less

Products:
Pre-poo: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo
Conditioner(s): Sauve Naturals Tropical Coconut, Kinky Curly Knot Today
Deep Conditioner: Renpure Organics My Hair Is Parched
Stylers/leave in (depending on style): Oyin Shine and Define, Oyin Whipped Butter, Oyin Frank Juice, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Conditioning Creme, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Tools:
Wide Tooth Comb
Denman Brush
Hooded Dryer (occassionally)

This routine is actually very easy to follow for me because it's not high maintance and actually quite inexpensive. The most expensive thing is probably the Kinky Curly Products, but they last me a while so I think that somehow cancels out and I am heavy handed with products like conditioners. This is the first summer I know my hair well enough to determine what it likes and the first summer that I actually have a workable routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!