Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Moon Phase Trimming & The Farmers Almanac

Ever since I could remember, I always remember my mother saying she was trimming with the full or new moon. No, I never knew what difference it made or even thought it made any sense, but I know my mother has always had a head full of long healthy hair, so she must know a little something. As I got older, I really realized how much connection we have with our beautiful world and universe, and like my mother, started to become more interested in astrology, which is where trimming with the moon comes in.

As a natural who enjoys her hair regularly, I also need to keep a regular trimming regimen to keep any splits from daily styling from progressing up the strand. With my quest for fuller, longer hair, I'd basically do anything (nothing too crazy, lol) so I decided to start trying out the trimming with the moon for myself. Now unfortunately, I can not give any results on this trimming cycle method just yet, but I will update you all on what I think as I continue to trim my hair with the moon.... I  have been doing it for the past few months.

I have been using the Farmer's Almanac to keep up with a list of best days for trimming, as the days are different for fullness, growth, and retarding growth. Im actually a little scared cuz I accidentally chopped off my braid on a day for retarding growth, so I hope it doesn't stunt the growth of the hair in that area. Here is an paragraph I found on the Farmer's Almanac website, explaining things a little better than I can...

"Best Days Explained...
According to Farmers' Almanac tradition, when the moon is in the appropriate phase and place in the zodiac, it's widely believed that activities will be more fruitful or lead to improved results. The period between the new and full moon (first and second quarters) is considered as the best time to perform tasks that require strength, fertility and growth. The period between the full and new moon (third and fourth quarters) is best for harvesting, retarding growth, etc. Consideration is also given to the relationship the moon has with the 12 ruling signs of the zodiac."
Today is one of the days for trimming to increase growth, so with my hair being out, I decided not to wait to trim my hair because my ends were really bad. I waited until after midnight last night to make sure it was the 16th (we just entered a new moon) and got to trimming. I took about an inch off in the back, and dusted about a quarter inch everywhere else.
Goodbye little bit - o - length in the back
(you can see one of the accidentally cut pieces sticking out)

Snip! Snip! Snip!


My hair after trimming the back
My hair before trimming the back


I didn't trim my hair quite as short as the pieces I accidentally cut, but it's a lot closer to being even now than before. I'm actually really happy with the hair in the back having a good trim, as it gave the appearance of being a fuller, more blunt bob! yay! My ends and I are both happy, and growing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!