Friday, February 11, 2011

Healthy Body: Green Tea



I've mentioned that I'm being more health conscious then I ever have been on my own and I think I'm starting to feel the benefits now. I no longer eat meat (much to the dismay of my pops who can't imagine such a meal without goat or lamb) which means I could be missing certain things in a balanced diet such as protein. So I've been paying more attention to what I'm consuming and what I'm putting in my body because I want to be healthy. I believe a combination of things--not one miracle food/vitamin--is what makes a good diet. And the key is being consistent--over time you'll see the results.

Lately I've been consuming a daily cup of green tea, (although it is suggested to drink about 3 cups a day for full benefits). I grew up drinking it because my family is HUGE on all sorts of herbs and teas to drink. Once I reached "puberty" my grandmother required that I try to have a cup of green tea every day, sweetened with organic honey (not sugar) and decaffeinated. Occasionally I also added lemon juice to it. I personally drink my tea without anything but it's mostly because I'm drinking it at work and all they have is sugar. So why green tea?

- helps with metabolism, and weight loss
- contains epigallocatechil gallate, an antioxidant that hinders cancer cell growth
- cleanses the body of toxins
- fights bacteria
*Source


I'm going to try and drink the tea 3 times daily, once in the morning (like I've been doing) once in the mid-afternoon, and then another before or after dinner. I found this article on WebMD discussing what the science community is saying about green tea and why they are finding it useful. Remember that healthy hair starts from within the body so if you're on that journey be sure to drink some tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!