Thursday, December 23, 2010

Creating a Regimen for your Growing TWA

Good Morning YAIS beauties and TWA growers!
When i originally started my natural journey back in March of this year, i had no idea how much i would learn about my hair. I've never been one of those girls who was good at sticking to a regimen, so i never even tried. I became a product junkie, buying every good product i researched, and just did my hair from day to day. Through much trial and error (and wasted time, hair and money), i learned that my hair taught me what it needed, wanted, and very much created its own regimen!
What has my hair told me it likes?
  • Shampoo once a week, co-wash at least twice a week and more frequently in the summer. 
  • Loves Henna!!! So now I Henna once a month
  • Deep condition - Basically whenever i wash i DC, so i never NEED to, i just do.
  • Finger detangle! - My hair has taught me if i keep a comb away, my hair will stay! =D I finger detangle my hair wet with lots of conditioner. Even with dry detangling i use my fingers so i can feel the tangles and separate them, instead of ripping through them. I use a comb sometimes, but very seldom. 
  • Shea butter - My hair loves Shea butter, especially when it is in an Afro or going to be twisted, it keeps my hair highly moisturized, soft, and sets twist-outs beautifully.
  • Trim away Single Strand knots - I learned that i only get SSK's on my tighter, coarser textures, so i check them often for SSK's and snip! Snip! SNIP!
  • Protective Styling -My hair loves to be twisted! Flat twists are my fave right now until my hair grows a little more and i can wear more 2 strand twist styles.
  • Where's my Satin bonnet?! - Dont forget to protect your hair as you sleep, or even under hats.
I guess that's the reggie my hair created for itself in a nutshell!

Important Information for Growing your TWA
When growing out your TWA, you will need a low manipulation, high care regimen in order to grow your hair to its fullest potential. Pay attention to what you use and how your hair responds to it, this will help you to learn what your hair likes and what kinds of products it like as well. Remember that the ends are the oldest parts of your hair, so pay special attention to keeping your ends healthy, that way you retain all or most of your length; Breakage and needing to trim often will greatly slow your growing process. Make sure your hair stays moisturized and if you are protective styling, make sure it is a style that wont cause any damage to your hair/hairline.
If you are a new natural, take some time to play with your hair and learn what it likes and needs, as all hair is different. Start with something easy like conditioner and learn how to make ur curls pop!
 Don't expect something that works for everyone to work for you, it may not, but you will find something that will :) Remember that just because your hair is short now, this little TWA will be your ends once your hair grows out so don't go crazy dying, frying or not taking care of your hair just because it's a TWA, trust me, you'll pay for it later (obviously speaking from experience =x).

So what has your little TWA taught you? Good luck listening to it and creating your own TWA reggie!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I BCd on 12/19(my bday)and am kinda feeling my way through this whole process

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shea butter, it’s excellent for skin and hair. mine smells great because it is 100% raw, i find that it smells nutty

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tonia Take your time getting to know your hair, you will learn what it needs and wants... i've felt my way through it a bit so i'm ready to pass on my knowledge!

    @ lily Yes Shea butter can be amazing when you learn how to properly use it, i use it on my hair and skin too and i love the way it smells and feels.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!