Monday, August 27, 2012

In The City: Dining at La Mar NY

It's occurred to SP and I that we live in an amazing city. Even though we leave it sometimes, we know that this is home. I've personally lived in 4 of the 5 boroughs, having spent my teenage years gallivanting through lower Manhattan and Harlem, my childhood between Brooklyn and the Upper West Side, my college years in Staten Island (don't ask!) and "adulthood" in Queens. We've decided to share more of our outings with YAIS readers!

Appetizer: Cebiche Limeno (sweet potato, octopus, calamari, scallops and shrimp)


During NYC's restaurant week, the hubby and I went to La Mar NYC located in the Flatiron District of Manhattan, a couple of streets from where I work. We never tried Peruvian food before (both of us growing up on Caribbean Spanish/West Indian cooking) and thought to add it to our pallet. I tried Octopus for the first time in my appetizer, a delicious salmon entree and an ice-cream desert, chased with one of their beers. The place itself is really pretty and right across the street from Madison Square Park. There's outdoor seating or you can sit inside (like we did) where there's a chandelier hanging and a bar on the first floor. 


Entree: Chorrillana (Salmon dish)

Queso Helado (ice-cream with rice cookie)


I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the server we got; knowing nothing about Peruvian food I asked him about what were the best choices and he grunted in response *shrug* but the hostesses were nice. Since this was restaurant week an appetizer, entree and desert was $35, and from the look of the menu it's definitely not a budget place. But if you're into trying something new and want to treat yourself a bit, try this place out! I know there's another location in the US in California, but the rest are in Central and South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!