Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rollersetting Natural Hair: Curlformers vs. Flexirods

As you all know from my previous post, I finally did a full flexi-rod set and I was overjoyed with the results. Since then, I've done two more sets and both have come out to my liking. Considering we're in the cold weather season (a.k.a. Winter) I'm trying to avoid the inevitable snagging that occurs with wearing heavier clothing and the ends of my hair hang down and loose and rub against coats and collars; so I've been styling my sets in up-dos

My hair yesterday - "2nd day" hair
I was thinking about whether I prefer setting my hair  with Curlformers or flexi rods and decided to make a comparison based on my experiences with both. Here we go!

Curlformers: Long and Wide Set


Pros:
  • Easy to set hair - you simply take a section of hair and using a hook, you pull it into the Curlformer which "sets" the curls for you (see this video I made of me setting my hair) - I call it the "slide-in-and-out" technique
  • Less chance of having puffy roots - when done correctly (which I find hard to mess up) your roots are pretty straight
  • Easy to sleep in - when you don't have a hooded dryer or you don't have all day to sit with them in your hair
Cons:
  • Expensive as sh**
  • Hook can snag on hair
  • Can't be purchased everywhere - locally I'm pretty sure you can only get at Sallys or you have to order them online
  • Rollers rip and tare easily - in the end they are like stretchy plastic!
Flexirods: Various Sizes


Pros:
  • Cheap to buy - only $2.99 for a pack of 6 at a Beauty Supply Store
  • Options for different size curls depending on the look you're going for (the bigger the rods the larger/wider the curls, smaller rods yield tighter curls)
  • Great for long or short hair
  • no snagging - rollers are soft and "flexible"
Cons: 
  • hard to sleep in - still not as bad as magnetic rollers in my opinion but still uncomfortable
  • Can be difficult to set - no "slide-in-and-out" technique for these. If you don't know how to set you can have puffy roots and/or rods falling out of your head

I should also mention a couple more personal things: I've noticed that with Curlformers, my sets do not last as long. While I've been using the same products with my flexi-rod sets (Eco-Styler Gel) I can get 4-5 days with my curls looking decent while with Curlformers I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 and I'm really not sure why that is!

So that's my verdict. I'll be using flexi-rods for a few more times because I want to practice and experiment with them some more, but Curlformers will always hold a special place in my heart for their ease of setting. Have any of you tried Curlformers or flexi-rods? Which do you prefer and why? Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!